Saturday, November 1, 2008

Coffee? No please..!! :)

Every time I think of something interesting to blog about, something or the other keeps coming up,to an extent of making me forget what had initially set off my writing sensitivities. . . This morning, one such incident happened. But this time, not letting the other things come in between, I decided to blog under an ASAP Code.Here I go....
The title suggests that this post has something to do with the following things :
1.Coffee
2."NO"
3.The person saying a "NO"
4.The person saying a "NO" with a "Please" tailing behind
5.And the reason behind the "NO", with or without the tail.

Before I drive a few of my readers "crazy" and a few"crazier", let me start off with what's bothering me this time, that I'm here to give a new post in this entirely new blogosphere :) :). The Idea of "Polite" Refusal is what is bothering me...This might give an impression to a few that I'm fast approaching the insanity threshold.Maybe you're right, but no one's stopping me from saying what I got to say.. ;-)

Ever since I was a kid,the first lie I was made to utter was "say no,when your heart and mind correlate for once,prompting you to say an YES..! For instance, an aunt in a flowery Saree came up to me and asked me if I would like some juice. It was something like a silent prayer answered, when my heart prompted me to say "yes please", but the dagger throws from mom made me refuse with the "tail" attached. Its not about whether I wanted the juice very badly or not. It's just that for a person who doesn't really want the juice, the NO would be meaningless, as the many aunties in the flowery ^(power) infinity sarees would naturally assume that the person was just being formal.Think about it! The next minute you end up hearing a cackling laugh coming up from the kitchen, followed by a shrill voice commanding you to take it, and stop being so formal . So whether or not, a person really wants what is being offered, he/she has to struggle a bit before making them understand the "real NO". Wouldn't it have been easier if there was no such concept as "Polite refusal", that people were allowed to speak their mind and say yes or no as and when they felt it coming and not out of a forceful , most probably reversible outcome? And most importantly, not being mistaken for "the first time YES", which happens to be the underlying thought behind this post. I don't think anyone "normal" has ever given it a thought. So..what's going on ? ? ? Why does this refuse to leave my head? ???

Note :
Any theories are welcome in the comment section , as long as they don't end up confusing me even more. Sorry if my first post in this blog itself left you all scratchin' your heads away... :)
*Apologies!*

5 comments:

Hari said...

did scratch my head.. :p .. but was engaging n could see the picture..

s()ms!e said...

:) Thank God u did! :P

sowmy said...

lol..happy to find someone equally confused as i am.
now this is a job for me,i really love analyzing ppl (nope..not aunt petunia like).
sowmya..u seem to be very observing by nature n ur affected by this incident of saying NO to a glass of juice!!..n..its all that desire to have some juice that has driven u crazy. the best treatment possible to forget saying NO is to practice saying YES all the time.
n abt that 'juice' incident,its up to that aunt, to provide u wid some juice the next time u visit her.till then u will remember NO.
lol...i was just joking ..take it seriously!!

s()ms!e said...

hehe! :-) !
Well..its not abt NO..like uve said "forget the NO n start sayin Yes"...
:) the point is.. I don't want to be mistaken when i say a "first time" YES..! U get it.. ? :) thtz the point i was trying to make... It makes no sense, u know..if u really dont want it, even then, ure given it..in the name of "formality?!"..All this confusion, because, someone decided to refuse things offered, for the first time (after 1st time, u can have it any no. of times), thinking tht it wld account to good manners...but to me - it spells STUPIDITY...loud n clear! :) :)
And Sowmya...:) Im glad to receive a comment from u coz..
No.1 : I liked ur analysis...
No.2 : We share a Name... :) :) :)
Thank You!!!

sowmy said...

:)